this is how i feel about abstinence only sex education:
and so when i saw this on my parents counter…..
i decided to leave them a little note to tell them how i feel. 😉
ps…. SPELLING ERROR…. I really can spell correctly when i feels like it. 😉
any matter that has to do with stupid sex education choices is one of the things that upsets me the most in life. it’s not that i’m not for abstinence until marriage…. it’s that abstinence only education covers this, and ONLY this:
- Sexual abstinence before marriage, and fidelity after marriage.
- Sexual contraception and condoms.
- STI’s and other communicable diseases.
Just…. just no….
Sure, those things are important, and yes, covering the entire slew of “important” sexual education topics is overwhelming enough for three life times, but states that teach comprehensive sex ed manages, so why can’t we?
Here are some Shannon-deemed-important sex ed topics that SHOULD be covered in sex ed:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Breast and prostate cancer
- Condoms (how to put one on and WHY it’s important to ALWAYS use one!!) and then talk for hours and hours about why it’s SO important
- How to care for your body
- How to respect your partners body
- How to know when you’re ready for sex
- Rape, sexual assault and what to do if it actually happens to you
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Identity and Gender Discrimination
- Body Image and self worth
- HOW TO SAY NO (and that it’s ok to say no!!!)
- Birth control and abortion. (I will say this… sorry friends that are for it… but i’m not for abortion… however, i believe a basic understanding is so important, whether you are for or against it)
- Menstruation (a DEEEEEEEETAILED overview)
- Slut shaming (and why it’s BAD!)
- Open communication about sexuality
- Peer pressure
- How to find extra resources about healthy sexuality
- Their body belongs to THEM… not anyone else!
- Abusive relationships and healthy relationships
- Safe sex
- Sexual objectification in society
- Sex is a normal part of life!
- Sexual expression
- STI prevention and care
The list can go on and on, but you get the idea.
Getting off soap box now….
have you guys noticed that my blog looks a little empty and a little….. um…. lacking in sex ed stuff?
i haven’t forgotten how important sex ed is, nor do i really want to abandon the cause… but with school and work full time, i don’t have a lot of extra time to make sex ed videos.
so standby…. hopefully we’ll be back to this soon.
until then…. enjoy this little gem of knowledge –
love you all.